Research & Development:The CAST test is the resulting product of a large-scale project sponsored by EEI and executed by HR Strategies. The project was conducted in order to develop an employment selection test in construction and skilled trades fields. 34 investor-owned electric utility companies contributed to this project, providing research information and analysis performed by thousands of employees and supervisors. The CAST test can predict the probability of success of a candidate in the following categories related to construction and skilled trade jobs:
- Transmission and Distribution
- Facilities and Repair
- Other Facilities (e.g., Carpenter)
- Electrical Repair
- Machining and Vehicle Repair
- Meter Service and Repair
CAST Test Battery:The CAST test battery is administered over approximately two hours.
Two different forms of the CAST test battery are available.
The CAST test battery consists of four tests (or sections):
- Graphic Arithmetic (16 questions/30 minutes)This test assesses one's ability to solve arithmetic problems via use of information from prints or drawings. The test taker is presented with a drawing and several follow-up questions. The test includes a total of two drawings and 16 questions, to be completed within 30 minutes.
- Mechanical Concepts (44 questions/20 minutes)This test assesses one's ability to understand mechanical principles. There are 44 multiple-choice questions, each relating to an illustration of a mechanical situation designated to the question. The test is to be completed within 20 minutes.
- Reading for Comprehension (32 questions/30 minutes)This test assesses one's ability to read and comprehend written materials. The test taker is presented with four passages and several follow-up, multiple-choice questions. The test includes 32 questions and is to be completed within 30 minutes.
- Mathematical Usage (18 questions/7 minutes)This test assesses one's ability to work out basic mathematical problems with the information provided at the beginning of the test. The test includes 18 multiple-choice questions and is to be completed within seven minutes.
CAST Scoring:The CAST test can be scored both by machine and by hand. The four CAST aptitude test scores are combined into a single index score, ranging from 1 - 10 (10 being the highest). A candidate's index score reflects the expected probability of successful job performance.
Prepare Online:Preparing for the CAST test is essential for achieving high scores and TestPrep-Online offers the perfect practice materials necessary for success. Start practicing today with TestPrep-Online's success-proven materials to ensure you land your desired job!
COMING SOON: TestPrep-Online's EEI test series will includes practice CAST tests, including in-depth explanations necessary for success.
To return to the main EEI page, click here.
Or to go to any of the other EEI test pages, click on the test abbreviation:
CAST Test Sample Questions
EEI and other trademarks are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with TestPrep-Online or this website.